Dr. Ashis Kumer Biswas is an assistant professor of the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, and Director of the Machine Learning laboratory (ML Lab) at the University of Colorado Denver. He received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Texas at Arlington in 2016, and an M.S. and a B.S. degree in Computer Science and Engineering from University of Dhaka, in 2009 and 2008, respectively. Dr. Biswas’s research interests span several areas related to machine learning, deep learning and bioinformatics and their applications in assistive technology, education, human resource development, and health application. His current research focuses on applying and promoting responsible AI principles into the AI system designs. Particularly, his ongoing research projects include privacy-aware intelligent applications with data-blind machine learning paradigm, the term coined by his lab while solving COVID-19 patient health related data analysis. He also focuses on natural language understanding and the data collection biases associated with narratives written by people. He has also worked on bioinformatics problems including disease association leveraging the omics data, extracting protein-protein interactionns with novel data integration techniques. Dr. Biswas’s publications have appeared in prestigious bioinformatics, machine learning conferences including BIBM, BIBE, CIKM, and SIGSPATIAL, as well as in several leading journals such as BMC Bioinformatics, IEEE/ACM TCBB. He has received a best paper award at the BIBE conference. He has been a reviewer for multiple prestigious journals, e.g., TCBB, Frontiers in Oncology, Elsevier Methods, MEJ, and several conferences.
- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Texas at Arlington, December 2016
- Ph.D. dissertation: Integrative Approaches for Large-scale Biomedical Data Analysis advisor: Jean X. Gao
- M.S., Computer Science and Engineering, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, October 2009
- M.S. thesis: Machine Learning Approach to Predict Protein Phosphorylation Sites. advisor: Nasimul Noman
- B.S., Computer Science and Engineering, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, April 2008
- Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Colorado Denver, Sept. 2017 - present.
- Machine Learning Advisory Member, LivedX, Oct. 2019 - present.
- Visiting Educator, Microsoft Summer Data Science Educator Program, July 11, 2022-Aug 5, 2022.
- Adjunct faculty, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Texas at Arlington, Jan. 2017 - Aug 2017.
- Lecturer, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, Jan. 2010 - Aug. 2011.
- Lecturer, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Asia Pacific, Bangladesh, Apr. 2009 - Jan. 2010.
- Lecturer, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, State University of Bangladesh, Bangladesh, Feb. 2008 - Dec. 2008.